Welfare fraud is a crime that impacts hard working taxpayers!
The Special Investigations Unit investigates suspected welfare fraud and abuse of Public Assistance, Medicaid, Medical Transportation, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance (Food Stamps), Home Energy Assistance (HEAP), and Daycare benefits received by recipients and vendors.
To report suspected welfare fraud, waste or abuse, please
Mail: Attention Special Investigations Unit/Fraud Unit
Sullivan County Department of Family Services
PO Box 231, 16 Community Lane
Liberty, NY 12754
Examples of welfare fraud
- Failing to report accurate information:
- a legally responsible parent/spouse and/or their income in the household
- all of the household income and/or assets
- all individuals residing in the household
- accurate address (residency)
- receiving benefits in another district (duplicate benefits)
- Fraudulent misuse of medical transportation:
- use medical transportation for non-medical transportation ( i.e.: using medical transportation to the store or other non-medical trips)
- submitted false trip tickets
- SNAP Trafficking
- Selling EBT cards for money, drugs, etc.