To develop and coordinate a comprehensive DWI counter-measure program to deter the incidence of drunk driving and the occurrence of alcohol related traffic injuries and fatalities.
STOP-DWI stands for "Special Traffic Options Program for Driving While Intoxicated". The STOP-DWI Program was enacted by the State Legislature in 1981 for the purposes of empowering county governments to coordinate local efforts to reduce alcohol and other drug-related traffic crashes within the context of a comprehensive and financially self-sustaining alcohol and highway safety program.
STOP-DWI funding is limited to enhancement programs which reduce the incidence of drunk driving. The program is supported entirely by the fines paid by people convicted of driving while intoxicated and from monthly supervision fees paid by people serving a sentence of probation as a result of their DWI conviction.
Victim Impact Panel (VIP)
The Sullivan County Stop DWI-Victim Impact Panel is located on the second floor of the Sullivan County Government Center in the Legislature Hearing Room, 100 North Street, Monticello New York 12701.
Panels are held on the 3rd Tuesday of the month, Bi-monthly, from 6:30 pm - 8:00 pm
The 2017 schedule of dates is as follows:
Date of VIP
JANUARY 17, 2017 Rescheduled to JANUARY 24th, 2017
|MARCH 21, 2017|
|MAY 16, 2017|
|JULY 18, 2017|
|SEPTEMBER 19, 2017|
|NOVEMBER 14, 2017 (Note: moved to 2nd Tuesday due to Thanksgiving)|
Preliminary screening for all defendants (Alcohol and Drug) will begin at 6:15 p.m. and will be administered by police agencies.
The program will start at approximately 6:30 p.m. and run for 1 ½ hours.
In order to attend a VIP you must be ordered to do so by a Village, Town or County Court.
In order to gain entrance to the VIP you must:
- Pay a CASH fee of $50.00 to the VIP at registration
- Rescheduling is not permitted
- You must be on time to be admitted
- The court will be notified of any failure to attend
- Persons attending must be at least 16 years old
- Disruptive behavior is not permitted
- Persons attending WILL BE TESTED for ALCOHOL or DRUGS (ZERO TOLERANCE)
- Persons testing positive for alcohol, and/or drugs will be denied admittance
Failure to comply with the program conditions will result in the Defendant’s being referred back to the sentencing court for re-sentencing.
Education and Public Awareness Component:
- Continue the high visibility STOP-DWI Task Force Program involving specially marked patrol vehicles and overtime patrols that are dedicated to DWI enforcement. Continue to participate in the statewide STOP-DWI Crackdown Campaign.
- Continue to support the video tape program in which DWI offenders are videotaped at the scene of arrest and at police stations.
- Purchase specialized breath testing equipment and supplies for DWI enforcement.
- Support specialized crash investigation and accident reconstruction efforts among Sullivan County's law enforcement agencies.
- Support the Standard Field Sobriety Testing (SFST), Advanced Roadside Impaired Driving Enforcement (ARIDE) and Drug Recognition Expert (DRE) Programs that help police officers identify the alcohol and/or drug impaired driver.
- Continue the STOP-DWI Prosecution Program with the Sullivan County District Attorney's Office.
- Continue the STOP-DWI Probation Program with the Sullivan County Probation Department.
- Continue funding an in-house drug testing program for DWI Probationers.