Friday, December 31, 2010
Monticello – Legislature Chairman Jonathan F. Rouis announced that the Sullivan County Legislature adopted a resolution at its final meeting of 2010 that implores the New York State Legislature to enact substantive reform of the real property tax law section governing tax exempt criteria.
“During each of the informational meetings on the County Budget that were held in seven locations throughout Sullivan County, a recurring compliant about New York’s public policy centered on the need to reform tax exempt criteria,” said Rouis. “The current tax exemption criteria has nearly 20% of all real property parcels exempt from taxation, leaving 80% of the property owners to essentially pay 100% of the property tax burden,” added Rouis.
Sullivan County has about $11.05 billion of equalized value real property assessments. However, more than $2.17 billion is exempt from real property taxation. If all non-governmental properties were subject to the real property tax, there would be an additional $6.46 million realized at the 2011 County tax rate. If all non-governmental tax exempt real property were presently subject to real property taxation there could be a net reduction of the property tax by 13.25% or there would be no appropriation of Fund Balance or a greatly reduced appropriation of Fund Balance.
“There must be an ability authorized enacted by the New York State Legislature to provide County Governments the ability to realize revenues from the impacts of providing County Government services associated with improvements on tax exempt properties, so that the eighty percent (80%) of the balance of taxable real property owners do not have to shoulder the burden of one hundred percent (100%) of the property tax levy,” concluded Rouis.
For More information contact Jonathan Rouis at 845-807-0435